Community Service Project:
Donations Box for Disaster Preparedness
Every year, June 1st is the start of hurricane season and Floridians face the risk of losing their homes and lives to damage and danger while being in need of emergency items on-hand to survive the tumultuous storms along with family, pets, friends, neighbors.
Floridians are encouraged to have at least 7 days of supplies. At the 2022 AAFCS Conference, the Annual Conference Local Advisory Committee (ACLAC) are collecting these items to donate to Osceola Council on Aging as the recipient of the disaster relief supplies collection.
The OCOA serves the elderly and disabled and comes highly recommended by a FL affiliate member and retired Extension colleague. Here is a list of some specific items they could use:
- Blankets - the small fleece ones
- Personal hygiene kit with toothbrush, toothpaste, a small bar soap, a washcloth, deodorant, shampoo, and conditioner
- Large print word searches/or other games
- Portable chargers for cell phones
- Small pillows
- Socks with the grip on the bottom
- Monetary donations (checks only) accepted, made out to: Osceola Council on Aging
Please come to Conference with items to donate and drop them off at the ACLAC table in the EXPO/Hub between June 25-27 (11:15am-3:15pm). You can also buy items to donate when in Orlando, such as from Walgreens, it is just a short ride away via the I-Trolley. Upon boarding the southbound Red Line I-Trolley, ask the driver how to get to nearest Walgreen's. The I-Trolley phone number is: 407-354-5656.
AAFCS and ACLAC thank you for your generosity with donations for Disaster Preparedness.