The only way we are going to increase the visibility of FCS is by advocating for this profession at the local level by showing how we can improve the quality of life for individuals, families, and communities. Also, local and state legislative officials also need to be involved in this advocacy process in order to make a difference and increase FCS visibility at the state level.
This session will provide participants with evidence-based reasons why advocating for FCS is needed now; learn several strategies and ideas on how to effectively advocate for FCS; show examples of how other FCS educators are implementing these strategies to effectively impact their stakeholders at the local and state levels; and develop a strategic advocacy plan that can be implemented in their FCS program.
As a result of attending this sessions, participants will be able to:
1) Identify advocacy development opportunities for FCS professionals;
2) Enhance the FCS visibility of the FCS profession in your community;
3) Develop an FCS strategic advocacy plan;
4) Discuss the importance of using FCS stories for advocacy purposes; and
5) Show how to advocate for FCS with local and state legislators.