2021 Emerging Researcher Award
The Community of Family Economics and Resource Management (FERM) of the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences is accepting applications for its 2021 Emerging Researcher Award. This award recognizes an individual who has demonstrated outstanding potential to make significant contributions to the understanding of individuals and families, and the context in which they make family economic and resource management decisions.
Doctoral students pursuing the Ph.D. or Ed.D. at a recognized institution of higher education in the United States and who are at the advanced dissertation development stage are eligible for the award.
The Emerging Researcher Award recipient will receive a $2,000 cash award and a certificate. The recipient will make a presentation about their research EITHER during the FERM Community session at the 2021 AAFCS Virtual Conference or via an AAFCS webinar. Up to $500 in travel and registration reimbursement will be provided to the recipient based on paid receipts following the 2021 AAFCS Virtual Conference.
Criteria for Award Selection:
- Applications shall be submitted by doctoral students who have reached an advanced stage in their dissertation research.
- Research topics must focus on social, economic and/or household aspects of family economics/resource management and/or issues that relate to policy formation and/or legislation in personal or household economics.
- The research may involve methods using quantitative, qualitative, or historical analysis.
- The research project must be at an advanced stage of development and approved by the appropriate advisory committee providing guidance to the doctoral student.
- Preference will be given to applicants with current membership in the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences and the FERM Community. If not currently a member of AAFCS and the FERM Community an applicant may join online at www.aafcs.org before sending the application.
Application Materials (Submit all materials electronically as one bundled pdf document):
- Submission page with applicant name; departmental and institution name and address; personal address, e-mail, telephone number; AAFCS membership number (if applicable); and list of items in the application portfolio.
- Resume of applicant (2 page limit), including previous and current educational affiliation, degrees awarded, employment experience, presentations and/or publications at professional meetings or in journals and proceedings.
- Two page summary of applicant’s approved research, including research question(s), methodology, data source(s), expected contribution to knowledge base, and research progress to date.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation, including one from the research advisor or department head indicating the stage of progress of the applicant.
Applications should be submitted electronically by 5:00 p.m. CT May 1, 2021 to:
Axton Betz-Hamilton, PhD, AFC®, CPFFE
Chair, Community of Family Economics and Resource Management