You hold a credential if you took an AAFCS competency exam, passed the exam, paid a fee, and continue to pay a maintenance fee and report the required number of Professional Development Units (PDUs). AAFCS offers one broad field credential and four concentration credentials in family and consumer sciences:
- CFCS - Certified in Family and Consumer Sciences
- CFCS-HDFS - Certified in Human Development and Family Studies
- CFCS-HNFS - Certified in Hospitality, Nutrition, and Food Science
- CPFFE - Certified Personal and Family Finance Educator
- CNWE - Certified Nutrition and Wellness Educator
Those who would like to obtain one of these credentials should sign up to take a competency exam, pass the exam, and pay a fee.
*A credential category called CFCS-Retired, is available to those who are already certified. Individuals who meet the AAFCS eligibility requirements to be classified as “retired” may opt for the “retired” category of CFCS professionals.
For more information on obtaining and maintaining AAFCS credentials, contact the FCS Credentialing Center at 703-706-4600, 800-424-8080, or firstname.lastname@example.org.